Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Peanut Butter Banana Ice Cream



I don't know about you all, but I have a MAJOR sweet tooth! So completely cutting out processed sugars from my diet seemed to be ten times harder than cutting out gluten. Not to mention sugar is in everything! While I have been sugar free for quite some time, I still love my sweets...so when someone offers me cookies or cake etc my mouth still waters as I politely decline the delicious treat. Sugar may be horrible for your health, but it sure does taste good!!! This is why the majority of my recipes are either desserts or breads of some sort, if I can still enjoy and satisfy my sweet tooth without compromising my health, by all means I'm going to do it! You get the best of both worlds!

Ice cream is by far my favorite sweet treat, and it may have to do with the fact that I just recently ended a 5 year chapter of my life in Florida- where it is hot and humid year round....which can only mean one thing- sweet cold treats all year too! So ice cream was one of the very first foods I attempted to modify! Unfortunately I did not have an ice cream maker while I was on the hunt for an  alternative recipe, so I had to find a way to make ice cream without one. This is where the bananas came in to play! After researching online, I discovered that a lot of folks are making frozen banana ice cream... I had to give this a try myself! ( plus, it's a great way to utilize those really rip bananas because they are actually sweeter!)

Here is my spin on Banana Ice Cream!
This recipe is really easy and you probably already have all the ingredients! You will be amazed at how sweet and creamy it is!!


Peanut Butter Banana Ice Cream- Only 4 Ingredients!
Gluten, Dairy, and Sugar Free!
Ingredients:
  • 4 FROZEN RIPE bananas  ( frozen is what gives the bananas that ice cream consistency)
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk ( can use unsweetened almond milk, unsweetened vanilla almond milk, etc. Just make sure whatever milk you decide to use is unsweet!)
  • 2-3 TBSP Peanut Butter ( I love peanut butter & will usually add a couple TBSP, taste test the blend, and add more if I'm the mood for it!)
  • 1 TBSP Raw Honey ( optional)
  • Unsweetened chocolate to garnish ( optional)
Directions:
  • Take your already frozen bananas, milk, peanut butter, and honey and blend in a food processor or blender until you reach a very smooth, well blended texture that looks like ice cream
  • Add in any other flavors or supplements ( I like to mix in some coconut oil & probiotics as an easy way to get in my healthy fats & bacteria for the day) 
  • Put ice cream back in freezer for a couple hours or until it reaches the desired thickness. Sometimes it's ready as soon as you finish blending it, other times it's more like pudding and needs to freeze for a little bit. ( I'm not always patient enough to wait for it to freeze all the way and just end up eating it like banana pudding!)
  • Garnish with some shredded chocolate and enjoy!
Have you made homemade ice cream before? What's your favorite sweet treat?

Questions? Leave a comment below or email me!    




No comments:

Post a Comment